Focus on Distinction

John laPlante's blog. The title comes from the idea that there is often some critical detail that makes all the difference in a design, a movie, an event, etc. I am espeically interested in usability and design.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Tables and Grids

I'm planning to build a simple Flash table component. This looks to be little more than a matrix of text fields with a border. I'm doing the research now and dug up a old Java Grid from the wayback machine. This contains instructions and source code for building a table. I'm not planning to follow this code but it may be of value to others. I looked for similar code and advice in Google but came up empty.

I could extend the Flash Table Compnent (v2 components in Flash MX 2004) but that is a little more than I need presently. I may try that in the future to get a full fledged table.

I'm not sure why people use the term grid and table to mean what appears to be the same thing. Maybe there is a difference between a grid and a table. In my case, I'm not even sure I should refer to my component as a table or as a grid since it lacks many of the distintive features, such as sorting, swapping columns, embedding various types of components in the cells.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home